How do I get a break on property taxes on my home?

Madison County Courthouse. (The Huntsville Times/Glenn Baeske)

The homestead exemption is one of several property tax breaks offered to homeowners by the State of Alabama. Other exemptions are available to homeowners who are over 65 years old, or 100 percent disabled, or blind, or who meet income guidelines.

Here’s how it works, according to Bill Bass, director of the property tax division of the Alabama Department of Revenue, and the Madison County Tax Assessor’s Office:

The homestead exemption may be claimed on a home occupied by its owner. The exemption does not apply to vacation or second homes. The exemption is also available to mobile home owners if they own the land under their home sites.

To claim the homestead exemption for the first time, you must provide a deed or other proof of ownership between Oct. 1 and Dec. 31.

via ASK US: How do I get a break on property taxes on my home? |

About these ads

Leave a comment

Filed under Real Estate for Everyone

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s